As part of the importing of all the posts from my old blog, I spent some time today doing what’s called a ‘301 redirect’, which is a function enabled on the old site, that redirects all page requests to a new site. It allows any visitors to be automatically redirected from the old site to the new when they try to get there from search results.
I also implemented a new plugin on this site called ‘Permalink Finder’. What that does is automatically redirect visitors from an incorrect page URL to the correct page URL. The resulting functionality now does the following:
is redirected to
but that URL is incorrect here (based on how I’ve setup the permalinks), so the Permalink Finder redirects it to
So now all the old content that’s been accessible on the old blog is still easily accessibly by the visitors on this blog.
This blog will now also get the visitors from the old blog and those coming directly to this blog too. And the good thing is that the search engines will take note of the 301 redirect and modify their entries accordingly, so that they’ll be sending people directly alansjourney.com instead of alanzeyes.com
I’m very excited by how it all works now. I should have done this a long time ago.
Thanks for reading! Please add your own thoughts below.
Don't forget to subscribe for new posts sent to you by email!