I’ve worked out my ‘great Australian adventure’. Here’s an image of the route:
Over 18,000km, taking me 40 days. Here’s how I’ve planned it out:
- Leave Canberra, head to the east coast.
- Follow the coastline down to south of Melbourne.
- Head across to Ballarat, enjoy some tourist attractions I remember from my childhood.
- Head south to the coastline.
- SOUTH AUSTRALIA
- Follow the coastline to Adelaide.
- Head north to Pt Augusta.
- Head southwest to the Great Australian Bight.
- WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Follow the coastline across the Nullarbor Plain, do some whale spotting.
- Head north to Kalgoorlie.
- Explore some gold mines.
- Head west to Perth.
- Rest, spend a few days with my friend Mel.
- Head north, do some National Park tours (The Pinnacles, etc).
- Continue north, feed some dolphins (Monkey Mia).
- Head northeast.
- NORTHERN TERRITORY
- Explore some more National Parks (The Bungle Bungles, Kakadu, Katherine Gorge).
- Head north to Darwin, resting there for a couple days.
- Head south to Alice Springs.
- Do more National Park tours (Uluru / Ayers Rock, Olgas, etc).
- Head north again for a bit, then east to Queensland.
- Spend a couple of days in Cairns.
- Tour the Great Barrier Reef.
- Head south to Whitsunday Islands.
- Take a 3-day sailing trip around the islands.
- Head south to Brisbane, catching up with a friend of mine.
- Rest in Brisbane a few days.
- Head south, ending up back home.
I think it’s going to be quite an adventure. Lots of research, plans, preparations, bookings…. Wheee!
Thanks for reading! Please add your own thoughts below.
Don't forget to subscribe for new posts sent to you by email!